Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Another Draft

I've worked a bit on this poem that I posted earlier. Please comment, especially if there are lines that don't flow rhythmically or that you have to re-read to get. Thanks :)

All Close

In a hand-me-down rocking chair late, I and baby
Cuddle close, sharing his sweet little smiles.
My legs push us forward and back in a rhythm,
Effortless, swayed by some external ebb.
Awake in the night, we’re alone in this moment.
Everyone sleeping but baby and me.

Forward and back under streetlight and starlight
Close your eyes, darling, I’m holding you tight.

But I know there are now other mothers and fathers
Humming or singing to babies tonight,
Each pair alone but in unison rocking,
One night like many in thousands of years.
All were once children, and rocked by a loved one.
My mother rocked me, and her mother rocked her.

Forward and back under mountains and starlight
Close your eyes, sweetheart, I’m holding you tight.

On one night when a new star appeared up in heaven,
Mary and Joseph embraced their new babe,
While shepherds came hastily in from the hilltops,
The Christ child dreamt softly on animal’s hay. 

Forward and back under angels and starlight
He came to promise all stains will be white.

Mother Eve rocked her babies when earth was beginning,
And loved them, both Abel and Cain, with great love.
She had given a wonderful gift to all people,
That we could be born and be parents in turn.
And was she, when she first saw the stars shine in Eden,
Then lulled to sleep by the arms that span heaven?

Forward and back under freshly made starlight
Close your eyes, dear one, I’m holding you tight.

Awake in this moment, we’re not alone, baby.
We are surrounded by parents before.
Swaddled and cradled in warm generations,
Rocked in the arms of the Father of All.

Forward and back under unfading starlight,
Sweet is this time for we’re kept in His sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment